I love quinoa salads because they are so easy and friendly for those who eat gluten free. This one is probably best served at room temperature, so you also don’t have to worry about keeping it hot while the rest of your food cooks. Feel free to alter the nuts or exchange the raisins for cranberries or whatever you happen to like best!
Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped & toasted
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked
1.5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place cubed and peeled sweet potato on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, remove from the oven, allow to cool and set aside.
- Using the same cookie sheet used to cook the sweet potato, place chopped walnuts into the oven for about 6 minutes until toasted.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions in vegetable broth. Once cooked, cool and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
- Combine sweet potato, toasted walnuts, golden raisins, fresh parsley, and quinoa in a medium sized bowl. Coat with dressing and mix well.
Nutrition Facts (per side serving): 330 calories, 19g fat (2g saturated fat), 34g carbohydrate (5g fiber), 6g protein