“Football food”… a man’s excuse for eating like a pig and sitting on the couch the entire Sunday. Let me just say that if you’re only moving in a 10 hour period to go to the bathroom, I would recommend not downing a bag of chips and salsa like it’s water!
As much as I hate “football food,” it’s inevitable, and if it’s going to happen, you might as well adapt some traditional recipes to add a little more fiber, a little less fat, and a little more protein. This recipe isn’t the healthiest of my creations, but it IS better then deep fried chicken wings, a pepperoni pizza or a large bag of chips. It’s also pretty tasty too!
Buffalo Chicken Pizza on Whole Wheat Naan -adapted from TastefullyJulie
Serves 5 (3/4 naan per serving)
4 pieces of whole wheat naan bread
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed into 1″ pieces
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup Franks hot sauce
5 tbsp. Smart Balance- Heart Right Light buttery spread
1 cup reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
3 oz crumbled feta cheese
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Once hot, cook cubed chicken breast 5-7 minutes until done.
- While chicken is cooking, place 5 tbsp smart balance into a microwave safe bowl and microwave 25-30 seconds until it starts to melt. Remove from microwave and mix with Franks hot sauce. Set aside.
- Once chicken is cooked, add to the sauce mixture. Mix and then lift chicken out with a slotted spoon, draining off excess sauce. Set chicken aside.
- Re-heat the non-stick skillet with remaining teaspoon of olive oil. Saute sliced onion 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Place two pieces of naan on each cookie sheet. Take the remaining sauce and divide equally between the four pieces. Top with equal amounts of chicken, Mexican cheese, feta cheese, and onion. *There should be a perfect amount to equally cover each of the 4 mini-pizzas.
- Bake for 11 minutes until cheese is bubbly and naan is crispy. Serve with celery sticks and light ranch dressing to keep with the theme!
Nutrition Facts (based on 3/4 naan per serving): 533 calories, 21g fat (7g sat fat), 43.6g carbohydrate (6.2g fiber), 37.5g protein