Summer/early Fall is the time of year where if you don’t have air conditioning your bananas go from good to bad in about 2 days. What to do with all those almost-bad bananas? bake! A bonus is with this recipe you don’t have to feel guilty, either.
Healthier Banana Muffins with a Crunchy Nut Surprise- slightly adapted from Prevention RD (but there wasn’t much to adapt because her recipe was awesome!)
Makes: 12 muffins
1 cup oats
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup skim milk
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
- Soak the oats in the milk for one hour in the refrigerator
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray muffin with non stick spray, or line tray with cupcake liners.
- Combine the soaked oats, bananas, egg, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl combine the whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients together. Spoon into the prepared muffin pan and fill each cup halfway. Then add small sprinkle of chopped walnuts (about 5-6) and continue to fill the muffin cups with batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until done.