This recipe is a great vegetarian meal with a lot of protein from the black beans, Greek yogurt and quinoa, and healthy fats from the avocado. I also went heavy on the tomato topping to add extra nutrition. It was a happy moment for me when Dan asked for more “sour cream,” meaning I had successfully fooled him into eating Greek yogurt! This really is a vegetarian meal that even a meat lover will be full after eating, remember protein is not just meat!!
Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls slightly adapted from Prevention RD
2 cups low sodium chicken broth (sub for water if vegetarian)
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (if you like cilantro- add it in!)
2 tsp chili powder
pinch of cayenne
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice (I used the refrigerated bottle of lime juice)
2-3 plum tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 avocado, pitted and diced
1/4 cup pineapple salsa
10-15 blue corn tortilla chips (for dipping)
- Heat chicken broth (or water) in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add quinoa, stir, and return to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add black beans,
half of cilantro,chili powder, cayenne, and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Reduce heat to low and keep warm until quinoa is finished.
- When the quinoa is fully cooked, remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- To assemble bowls, divide quinoa between three bowls. Top with black beans, tomatoes, yogurt, cheese, avocado, and salsa. Serve warm.