This recipe was a pinterest find… yes, I do stay up way past my bedtime browsing for recipes on a regular basis. I just made a few adjustments based on personal preference. Feel free to sub out the greens, beans or cheese for a type that you like better. Eat up, this one’s packed with nutrition!
Baked Pasta with Kale & Chick Peas– slightly adapted from preventionRD
1/2 lb whole wheat spiral pasta (any you can find will do)
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3 garlic cloves, minced
28 oz canned reduced sodium diced tomatoes
1/8 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper, to taste
1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 can reduced sodium garbanzo beans
4 oz feta cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz) parmesan cheese, shredded
12 oz kale, ribs removed and roughly chopped
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Drain and rinse garbanzo beans.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the garlic. Cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt and basil to the pan. Stir, turn up the heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until thick and fragrant. Add freshly black pepper. Stir in the feta cheese, parmesan cheese, and garbanzo beans.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cook the pasta in pot of boiling water for 7-8 minutes. Then add the kale to the boiling pasta and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add the tomato-feta cheese sauce to the bowl and combine thoroughly. Transfer to an 9×13 baking dish.
- Toss the breadcrumbs with the remaining tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta. Bake until casserole is bubbly and breadcrumbs are lightly brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.