We had pretty dreary weather when both of these pictures were taken so to make up for the poor photography I will give you two recipes in one! They were both yummy, although the first was a little healthier then the second. Feel free to change the “stuffing” ingredients to whatever you like really, I just liked this combination. Have a healthy and happy holiday!
Stuffed Turkey Burgers
Makes 4-5 Burgers
1 lb 99% lean ground turkey (you may want to use 97% lean for added flavor)
3-4 large roasted red peppers, packed in oil, drained, rinsed & diced
2-3 oz shredded mozzarella cheese (just eyeball what is enough to stuff inside the burger)
6-8 green olives diced
4-5 whole wheat buns
Honey mustard to spread on top of burger
- Dice and shred all ingredients
- For each burger: divide ground turkey into two small equal portions. Place small amount of peppers, cheese, and olives onto one half of the burger (use your judgement as to how much fits).
- Place other equal portion of ground turkey on top. Seal the edges and place on grill.
- Cook each burger 4-5 minutes per side or until white all the way through.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cesar Sandwiches (+sweet potato fries and edamame)
Makes: 4-5 Burgers
1 lb boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup- 3/4 cup low fat Caesar dressing
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or 2 teaspoons of dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
4-6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Place raw chicken in a slow cooker with about 1 cup of chicken broth. Cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker using a slotted spoon and drain the broth from the slow cooker. Place chicken on a cutting board and pull chicken into shreds.
- Place chicken back in the cooker and pour dressing, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper over the top. Stir until mixed evenly. Cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes or until mixture is hot.
- Spoon 1/4 cup mixture onto each bun. Top with lettuce to serve.
Sweet Potato Fries
Makes 1-2 servings
1 large sweet potato (or yam)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cut sweet potato into thin slices.
- Place on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes