I’m on a roll this weekend! Here’s a breakfast one for you that is a great healthy start to your day. Here’s a quick lesson on eggs: eggs are a very high quality protein. Meaning, the ratio and sequencing of amino acids in the protein is near perfect to what our body needs. As you’ll see in this recipe, I used 3 egg whites and 2 whole eggs. Why? The whites have the greater bulk of the total protein of the egg, and all of the fat and cholesterol is in the yolk. Of course the yolk adds a little more flavor, but if you’d like to make this scramble with 5 egg whites instead, all the better for you!
- 3 Egg Whites
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1/2 Green Pepper, diced
- 1/4 White Onion, diced
- 1 Small Plum Tomato, diced
- Sprinkle of Low Fat Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
- Heat olive oil in frying pan. Allow to heat, then add diced pepper, onion & tomato. Saute a few minutes until peppers are soft and onions are translucent.
- Scramble 3 egg whites and 2 whole eggs in a bowl. Pour into frying pan on top of the onion, pepper and tomato. Sprinkle a little cheddar cheese into pan.
- Stir to scramble all together for about 4 minutes until eggs are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!