I’m honestly not sure where this recipe comes from originally. I know it from my mom, and I slightly adapted it from that so we’ll just say it’s my moms recipe for the time being. This is a great one to freeze because the recipe makes a LOT. The onions, peppers and garlic in this recipe just smell so delicious when you are cooking it and they are great for you too! When buying the canned tomatoes in this recipe, look for cans that say “No Salt Added”.. the difference between that and the regular cans was almost 10% of your daily intake of sodium. I promise, it’s worth poking around and reading a few labels in the grocery store. Also feel free to kick up the cumin and chili powder if spicy chili is your thing. I’d recommend this for a weekend recipe, it is not involved to make at all but it simmers for a good 40 minutes so you may be too impatient to wait during the week- at least I would be! Here you go…
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 green pepper and 1
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- (1) 28 oz can diced tomatoes & (1) 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes- No Salt Added
- (1) 16 oz jar medium salsa (I use pineapple flavor which adds a sweet, unique taste to the chili)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Box Yellow rice- Spanish style (I used GOYA low sodium)
- Black olives sliced in half – if desired to garnish
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese- if desired to garnish (use conservatively or nutrition value of this recipe will decline!)
- Dice peppers, onion and garlic. Rinse, trim fat, and dice chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, garlic and chicken. Cook 8-9 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes, salsa, chili powder & cumin. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes.
- While waiting for it to boil, begin cooking rice according to package directions.
- After both have finished cooking, spoon rice into bowls and pour chicken stew evenly over the top. Garnish with olives and cheese if desired.